Good afternoon, floaters!
Our water’s cleanliness is a top priority for us – we can’t emphasize this enough. It’s a behind-the-scenes aspect of the floating process and we’re excited to help you learn more about it. We’ve gathered and answered a handful of cleaning-related FAQs. We hope you enjoy!
How do you keep the water clean?
Each of our float tanks contains approximately 900 pounds of Epsom salts. This makes it very difficult for an organism to survive in our devices. Nevertheless, we rely on our triple filtration process, also known as an “advanced oxidation process” (AOP), to make sure our room and pod water remain above established sanitation standards.
Between each floating appointment:
- We cycle our water through a 1-micron filter (class 1 filtration) three times. Our filters are FDA approved for drinking water, and we regularly replace them 1 – 2x per week.
- We turn on a device called an “ozonator.” The ozonator injects ozone gas (O3), a powerful sterilizer, through a pipe and into the filtering water. Ozone is a more powerful disinfectant than chlorine or bromine (the spa and pool chemicals that are familiar to most of us) and does not leave behind chemical by-products or residues.
- Next, our O3’s sterilizing power is made even more intense because we combine it with an ultraviolet (UV) light system. When UV light hits ozone gas, small particles are made, called Hydroxyl Radicals. These particles instantly kill microorganisms in the water.
- We run our water through this three-tier filtration process a total of 3 times between floating appointments.
- Finally, we use food-grade H2O2 as an additional method to eliminate organic material. H2O2 works in synergy with O3. They make each other more effective. We closely monitor our hydrogen peroxide (H202) levels throughout the day.
For more in-depth information about O3, UV, H2O2, and other water sanitizing practices, visit Float Tank Solutions
Do you empty and re-fill the tanks after every float?
Our water is cycled through the three-tier filtration system we described above, but it is not emptied all at once.
How often do you fully replace the water?
Since water evaporates during the day, we add water almost every evening. We replace our entire tank of 200 gallons of water and 900 pounds of magnesium sulfate 3x per year, which greatly exceeds industry sanitation standards.
How do you clean the rest of my private room?
We vacuum, scrub, and disinfect! We stick to green cleaning products. Once we are done cleaning the floors and shower area in your room, we supply you with new ear plugs, Q-tips, and white laundered floor-mats and towels.
We have placed a great deal of attention and care into this process as we have facilitated over 20,000 floats in the past two and a half years. We continue to make adjustments along the way as we finely tune every aspect of your floating experience.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about our water, our center, or about the floating experience, please give us a call. We will be happy to answer any of your questions!